Hastings Old Town Parish

One Modern Parish, Two Medieval Churches

The Reverend William Parker

William Parker was a member of a leading Hastings family and Rector of All Saints from 1596 to 1619. He was interested in education, particularly of the poor (All Saints parish being the poorest in the town) and left provision in his will for the founding of what became Hastings Grammar School, known until recently as William Parker School. It is now part of the Ark Alexandra Academy.
His bequest is still with us today. In June 2020 the William Parker Foundation with its substantial assets became a ring-fenced fund within the Magdalen and Lasher Education Foundation. Its assets, derived from the Parker bequest and that of James Saunders, another benefactor who died in 1707, are used exclusively to support the pupils of the school which once bore its founder’s name.